STAR WARS: Episode IV “A New Hope”, 1977. Original tri-fold “style A” 1st printing 1 Sheet (27 x 41″) theatrical movie poster for sale starring; Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Alec Guinness, Peter Cushing, and directed by George Lucas. “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…” This is the well known and highly sought after “Style A” and is a guaranteed original. While there are there are 4 domestic printings for this style A and all print runs have the same artwork. There is also a original “Soundtrack” version which is identical except for a tag below the credits which reads “Original motion picture soundtrack on 20th century record and tapes” in ultra large text. This is beautiful artwork by famed Star Wars poster artist Tom Jung.
To <Browse all our Star Wars posters> follow the link!
The four different print runs can be generalized by 4 differences relating to the information on the bottom horizontal margin. All the versions have the NSS information, a GAU logo “made in the USA” and copyright information on the very left of the margin. On the right, the different versions are indicated by the following 4 differences in writing
- 77/21/-0 and just to the left reads one sheet – style “A”
- 77/21 directly under reads Star Wars. Just to the left reads one sheet – style “A”.
- Same as above except one sheet – style “A” is not written
BEWARE OF FAKES.
There is a lot of information on the internet about authenticating these different versions. The four bullet points below list out the known reproductions.
- A hair was on the original poster when it was being reproduced; causing a photograph of a hair on Leia’s thigh and on Luke’s belt.
- The ground/area below Leia and Luke should be a deep brown, the fake is much brighter orange
- Reproduction posters don’t measure 27 x 41“. The most common incorrect size is 24 x 36″.
- When in doubt about the authenticity, if it appears to be a “too good to be true” deal; then be extra careful, because it probably is.
This particular Star Wars 1 sheet style “A” 1st printing, no ratings version is in near mint condition with no major and only some minor imperfections to note. Style A tri-folds are rare and this version is a very rare example of a first printing before the ratings for the movie were established. Some groups believe this were slated for international distribution however this seems unlikely since the NSS coding is printed along the lower margin and this was not usually done for posters slated for use overseas.
Condition C9 – Sold $2700 Linen Backed
Sorry this poster has been sold. To inquire whether we have another not yet uploaded to the website or to request us to search for one please <Contact Us>